Zira's World Tour

Just a felted monkey diva blogging about her trip around the world.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Today I will share the remainder of our trip to Gros Morne National Park.

We got up last Thursday morning and the weather was much better than the day before. We decided to get ready and try to go hiking again. We went to the Tablelands (Google image photo):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

These mountains are formed from rock that was originally part of the Earth's mantle. It is the only place in the world where you can see these rocks. When you are there, you feel like you are walking on the surface of the moon. It's very cool!

Zira wanted to see what she was in for so we stopped at the lookout before the trail:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

See those waterfalls wayyyyy back there? Remember those, ok?

Claire travelled in her Snugli on DH's chest and I toted the digital camera, the film camera and Zira. Here's Claire being carried (this is DH's blog debut):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

She would occasionally make what I started calling "Wookie Noises" so we would give her a bit of grass or a daisy (don't worry, we didn't pick anything precious) to keep her entertained. Here she is engaged in a game of "he loves me, he loves me not".

Zira sat with a Pitcher Plant:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The Pitcher Plant (Sarracenis Purpurea for you botanical folk) is the provincial flower of Newfoundland and Labrador. They grow in bogs and marshes all over the province. They have one big dark red flower at the top and hollow "pitcher-shaped" leaves at the bottom. These plants are insectivors. The leaves fill with water and insects get trapped in them. The plant feeds off the bugs. Here is a better picture taken with my film camera:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

At the end of the trail we saw these rapids in the stream (I used a slow shutter speed to make the water look like this):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The view in all directions from this spot was pretty amazing.

Since I like taking pictures of waterfalls, DH and I decided it would be nice to get closer to the main falls you can see in the picture of Zira at the lookout. You can't get all that close to them on the trail so we decided to go offroading, so to speak. I wondered how smart a move it was with a baby, two cameras and a monkey but the rocks are large and stable and we made it there in one piece. Zira admired the falls:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

She looks like she was still far away but was really quite close.

We got Zira to take our picture:

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Ok, ok, I've gone too far. My camera took that picture on timer mode. It's hard to scramble over all that rubble to get yourself into a shot. I'm lucky I'm still alive - I was in sandals (dumb choice, huh?).

On the way home to Corner Brook we stopped at Big Falls in Sir Richard Squires Provincial Park. Um, I think this is the end of the waterfalls. What can I say - I'm obsessed. This park is on the upper part of the Humber River (notoriously deep and fish-filled) and is a sort of mecca for anglers. Salmon season is in full swing and we saw several fisherpeople up to their hips in the river, fly fishing. Not a hobby I'm about to take up but - to each his own. The salmon have to jump over Big Falls during spawing season to get back to their place of birth to lay their eggs. Big Falls is not high but it is amazingly forceful. You can barely hear yourself think when you are near them. We saw lots of salmon trying to leap up those falls (impossible to get a photo though). Here's Zira (wondering why the crazy lady keeps putting her by waterfalls):

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Other pictures of this area are still in my film camera. If any show the area in more detail, I'll post them another time.

Hmmmmm, not much knitting going on, is there? I did do a little but there was just so much else to do on holiday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home